For those following my winder project 3 years ago… I’m sorry.
The acrylic rig binded and squeaked, the photointerrupter died… and as soon as I got myself in gear ordering replacements, etc… Wifey got pregnant, and being a first time expectant dad, I ran around like a headless chicken doing this and that.
And so died the Gear Winder Project…
Timmy is almost 2, and about 2 months ago I thought I should revisit this project. I got
some a lot of inspiration from this guy. I can’t build something like that! I don’t even have 4 automatic watches! I also decided that this new iteration would be made using Lego – my childhood love.
I dug up the old Arduino, ordered the bits and pieces, and here is Mk 1.
Here’s a video of it working.
Mk 1 runs on an Arduino Uno, with a Easy Driver board and driving a stepper motor. The watch carrier is a piece of 2 3/4″ aluminum tubing painted black and a white line down it for a line sensor to detect and count revolutions. A left over real time clock shield is also in place for future expansion.
The belt drive system is prone to tension and slippage problems. This can be seen in the choppy watch carrier movement in the video.
I have torn Mk 1 down and embarked on Mk 2, which will have direct drive. Here’s a sneak peek.
Changes planned for Mk 2 include a LCD screen, and some control mechanism. And a 3mm Acrylic cover, which should keep wifey happy. ;-)