Tracking the shared car with Google Sheets and Forms

Wifey and I share the family car. I built a Google Sheet to track where the car is parked and also to record fuel top-ups, and put this as an icon on our phones.

When clicked, it opens the internet browser and takes us to the Google Sheet.

From here, we can see where the car was last reported parked, in this case, Level 1B at our local multi-storey carpark.

Clicking the link to record a new car location brings us to a Google Form, which pushes the input into the Sheet and updates the location in real time.

This allows us to inform each other of the car’s location without having to disturb the other – for example, if I came home late and she’s already asleep and will need the car for the early morning school run.

Another function would be to record fuel top-ups.

This allows us to track our actual gas spend, and also the fuel consumption of the car over time. Yes, ours is a thirsty one.

Front Fork Stand for Zwifting

As the spare wheelset was out of commission, I needed something to hold the front of the bike up while Zwifting. I got hold of some leftover 2×4 from a previous project, measured it up, cut some joints for strength, doweled the parts together, forstner’d a 12mm hole where the thru axle will go, and voila!

Shared some pictures on FB, and THEY WERE NOT IMPRESSED. Opinions ranged from me hurting myself, to breaking the carbon frame. Others thought it was cool; that the trainer supported all of the bike and rider’s weight. The stand, like the front wheel just held up the front… much like the Wahoo Climbr device (which I don’t have).

Had a few hours on the saddle now, and there were some lessons learnt. The bottom needs to be flat. If one side is higher, the steering will veer the other way. Flattened that out with a sander, and all is good. Had a couple of drops of sweat fall onto the end grain. I suppose that will lead to failure at some point. Maybe some finishing.

For now, I call it done.

Lego Watch Winder Mk2

It’s tested and finished!

This is the list of stuff that have been implemented, some planned, some improvements were reactive.

  • Direct stepper drive
  • LCD display
  • Rotary switch to control rotation direction, TPD settings, and turn on the LCD backlight.
  • Maxed out the RAM/processing power of the Arduino – revamped the source code
  • Re-arranged the board layout, cable management
  • Mounted on custom cut acrylic and Lego baseboard; 3mm acrylic cover

Finished pictures below; here’s also a video of it at work.